EF English First

EF English First Employee Reviews

Fine to make some extra cash. Not a sociable job.
The online teaching division is fine if you want to make some extra bucks. The training lasts for two weeks, which you complete before you start teaching. You are tested at the end of the two weeks. The job itself gets repetitive very quickly, as you start teaching the same lessons sometimes three times in a row. It is very anti-social, as usually you and most of the other teachers are teaching back-to-back for the entire shift. You are able to take on extra classes for overtime pay, which is a big pro and you can mark/grade students' submitted work for extra cash too. The working environment is a bit dull, but fitting for the role.
Telah mempelajari ilmu marketing baru dan tehnik2 marketing
Pros
Fasilitas
Adequate earning capacity for the Bali culture
Students are assigned to teachers so if you are available for 6 hours a day those hours will mostly be filled. If you are an expat just check your legal work status.
Pros
Good money for the local culture
Cons
Management seems a long way away from where you are: at the coal face.
Not bad.
Everything is well structured but the compensation for an Indonesian English teachers are not worth it. People are nice there, but the workloads are too much.
Fun and Relaxed workplace
Learnt to manage skills in classroom and aid on presentation and confidence. Workplace was relaxed overall with friendly peers. Upper management were relaxed, and we were provided trainings to aid on our education skills. I taught everyday, usually consisting of 1 to 3 classes a day depending on the schedule, and overall you get to learn different ways of handling different classes and their own specific culture and learning styles.
Great Life Experience and Fun with Kids
The teaching aspect of the job is great and worth the effort to get to Indonesia, where I taught. The staff were friendly barring some office drama. The challenge is overcoming the environment of the city where I lived, which is highly polluted and mostly unsanitary by American standards.
Pros
Paid leave, laid back environment, travel
Cons
Harsh climate (hot), housing, corporate feel
EF Yogyakarta
The EF English language teaching system is very structured. The lessons are mapped out and easily obtained electronically by the teachers with access to the system. Some of the course work is in need of updating. The onboarding of new teachers at the Yogyakarta campus is not very good.
company
The management needs improvement, staff and employees in a higher rank tended to run a seniority culture. poor career development.
good place to improve speaking english.
So-so
Much pressure less payment. Read your contract before sign. Negotiate your contract not just signing.
It was fun
Teachers and staff work well together to create a balanced and fun environment to work in.
A great place to learn as a teacher
It has great environment which gives everyone massive exposure to English language. Since the company's focus is to make a fun English learning environment, people involved are expected to contribute to creating a place that is enjoyable.
Creative Freedom, Warm, Diverse and Open Environment, Excellent Team
English First offers training and a positive work environment. It provides the materials needed. This job is great for a unexperienced teacher. The Staff and Faculty were very helpful and very friendly.
Pros
Creative Freedom, Structure, Training, Materials, Positive Environment
Cons
Low Pay
Great Online Teaching experience; local staff awesome
Aside from the low pay, this was a great job and a wonderful introduction to life in Bali. I recommend this job unless you need to support a family or others on it. It is just enough to squeak by... but the teaching experience itself is really rewarding!
Pros
new experiences, great coworkers
Cons
very stingy pay from Beijing office
One of the best jobs I could have asked for.
I worked in EF for just over three years. I learned so much in my time working there and was given so much freedom for creativity within the classroom. The principal of the school was an inspiration and the whole environment was relaxed and open.
Pros
My principal
Cons
Changeable hours
Awesome workplace with lots of interesting benefits!
I came to work excited and enjoyed very much the interaction with other teachers. The employees there were from a variety of different countries, cultures, and ethnicities.
Planning classes was easy because they had structured and outlined materials to use. We were never under too much pressure.

I learned a lot about work culture in a professional environment and what it entails to keep a balance and a smiling attitude in the workforce.

The management was kind and honourable and I liked them a lot.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the money I earned! But I loved to meet and interact with the other employees. Business English was enjoyable and I miss it a lot.

The hardest part of the job was keeping a mature attitude and being a professional around the students. I think I struggled with the children and felt better when teaching adults.
Pros
Business english and Indonesian food from the cart!
Cons
Present Simple grammar struggles
Productive and fun workplace
I taught children, young learners, teenagers, young adults and adults. They were normally excited in learning English with excellent teaching methods which company provides. As a teacher, I obviously learned so many things around my positive environment, such as, working as a team with other colleges, paying attention to detail and how to solve problem in the classroom. However, the difficult things that I needed to overcome were preparing lesson plan to be as creative as possible or parents will terribly be complaining and motivating young learners/teenagers to study while they tended to get bored easily and have unstable emotion. On the other hand, I really loved how mostly students could engaged with me in their process of learning English. Their excitement definitely had changed my tiredness into a delightful energy.
Amazing coworkers, fun teaching experience
I loved the activity of teaching online every day. I met new students from around the world every day, and also developed some regular students for while I was there. I highly recommend this job for anyone who wants to experience life in Bali. You will fare better, however, if you have a bit of financial savings before you arrive. However, life there is cheap. If you know how to be frugal and have only yourself to support, it can be an ideal introduction to living and working in Asia, as it was for me.
Pros
location
Cheap and cheerful education providers
EF has a great approach to supporting new teachers into their role - they supplement all their syllabi with teaching-tips and suggestions. I worked across2 cities, in over 4 EF schools, and they obviously had their similarities, but as franchises, they had their difficulties. The general attitude of the company was upbeat, people-centred and lively. The hardest part was split-shifts and working with very different students within the same day.
Pros
Very mixed experiences of teaching: good for career-building
Cons
Problems the management had in acquiring my legal status
Great place to start
EF is a great way to see the world whilst getting paid to do a challenging yet fulfilling job but it's not for everyone. They work well to look after their staff but as it is a franchise business, there can be big differences from one group to the next.
Pros
On the job training
Cons
non competitive salary
Best place to learn teaching method in fun ways
EF is always be an amazing place to work. The management is very professional, the teaching resources are always updated and the work's culture is wonderful.
Fun and excitable workplace
Although the work can be long, the kids are very lovely and a joy to work with. The most important thing for me was to get to know my students and their interests and design lesson plans around my student's interests in order to get them communicating in English while having fun and learning the English grammar.

My colleagues were lovely, it's from them that I got to learn about the culture and language of the country. I built really strong relationships with some of them and I am still in touch with a few of them.

The hardest part of the job was finding my own accommodation and furnishing my apartment as I wasn't given much help on that and had to struggle alone, which I found scary and daunting.

What I enjoyed the most about working at EF was being around the learners who were all so very different in their own ways.
Pros
A fun, exciting and creative job
Cons
Accommodation not provided
Ask a question about working or interviewing at EF English First. Our community is ready to answer.