EF English First

EF English First Employee Reviews

Indonesia43 reviews
The online teaching division is fine if you want to make some extra bucks. The training lasts for two weeks, which you complete before you start teaching. You are tested at the end of the two weeks. The job itself gets repetitive very quickly, as you start teaching the same lessons sometimes three times in a row. It is very anti-social, as usually you and most of the other teachers are teaching back-to-back for the entire shift. You are able to take on extra classes for overtime pay, which is a big pro and you can mark/grade students' submitted work for extra cash too. The working environment is a bit dull, but fitting for the role.
EF is a franchise, so it's understandable that there are some differences in the management, policy, and overall working culture in some branches.

I believe some branches have good working environment. My office was not one of them, tho.

These are my assessment of the office I worked in, not the whole EF.

1) Unfairness. Local teachers have siginificantly less benefits compared to international teachers, even though they have more responsibilities and working period.

2) Messy management. There is weak unity and collaboration. Teachers are merely expendable pawns.

3) Questionable policies/rules. Many of them don't make sense. It gets even worse during Covid-19, especially for low tier and part-time teachers.

4) Little appreciation. They blame you easily for your mistakes, but almost pays no attention to how well you are doing your job.

5) Close-minded higher-ups. It's hard to share your true feelings, desires, or opinions. When they have "a conversation" with you, their first instinct is to be defensive or to shut you down, not to listen.

If you still want to take part in this company, at least pick a branch that has healthier working environment.

The company itself is not bad as a whole, in fact with better people, it could be the top recommended place to work. It has good curriculum and bank of materials and teaching activities.

If you could overlook some major flaws in the office you're working in, then go for it. At least you could improve your public speaking skill a bit if you're applying for a teacher.

You know well what you really want.
Pros
Teaching materials, the students, opportunity to polish your English and teachings skills.
Cons
Low benefits, low transparency, bad management, stressful and biased environment, questionable policies, little appreciation, close-mindedness.
Please do deep research before you apply for any position. During the pandemic outbreak, you can actually see how poor they handle problems based on the work from home policy and salary adjustment they had to do. Our rights as employees, the rights to speak up and negotiate, were oblivious to them.

If you do pass the test and interview process, please read your contract carefully before signing. There are a lot of points you need to truly understand. Discuss and negotiate about it.

The company is great for those of you who wants to learn general, basic job responsibilities. I don't recommend staying longer here. Will take you long time for a raise.

Benefits and facilities are OK, some are poorly managed and there were many times they're lacking things which inconvenient for us.

Work culture is very typical. Some seniors act with hauteur and disdain toward their junior. Working hours so-so, be prepared to work overtime without payment except when 1st party agreed to do so.

Hardest part of the job: keeping up with their poor management.

The most enjoyable part of the job: networking and improving your English.
Telah mempelajari ilmu marketing baru dan tehnik2 marketing
Pros
Fasilitas
Students are assigned to teachers so if you are available for 6 hours a day those hours will mostly be filled. If you are an expat just check your legal work status.
Pros
Good money for the local culture
Cons
Management seems a long way away from where you are: at the coal face.
Everything is well structured but the compensation for an Indonesian English teachers are not worth it. People are nice there, but the workloads are too much.
Learnt to manage skills in classroom and aid on presentation and confidence. Workplace was relaxed overall with friendly peers. Upper management were relaxed, and we were provided trainings to aid on our education skills. I taught everyday, usually consisting of 1 to 3 classes a day depending on the schedule, and overall you get to learn different ways of handling different classes and their own specific culture and learning styles.
The teaching aspect of the job is great and worth the effort to get to Indonesia, where I taught. The staff were friendly barring some office drama. The challenge is overcoming the environment of the city where I lived, which is highly polluted and mostly unsanitary by American standards.
Pros
Paid leave, laid back environment, travel
Cons
Harsh climate (hot), housing, corporate feel
The EF English language teaching system is very structured. The lessons are mapped out and easily obtained electronically by the teachers with access to the system. Some of the course work is in need of updating. The onboarding of new teachers at the Yogyakarta campus is not very good.
The management needs improvement, staff and employees in a higher rank tended to run a seniority culture. poor career development.
good place to improve speaking english.
Much pressure less payment. Read your contract before sign. Negotiate your contract not just signing.
Teachers and staff work well together to create a balanced and fun environment to work in.
It has great environment which gives everyone massive exposure to English language. Since the company's focus is to make a fun English learning environment, people involved are expected to contribute to creating a place that is enjoyable.
English First offers training and a positive work environment. It provides the materials needed. This job is great for a unexperienced teacher. The Staff and Faculty were very helpful and very friendly.
Pros
Creative Freedom, Structure, Training, Materials, Positive Environment
Cons
Low Pay
Aside from the low pay, this was a great job and a wonderful introduction to life in Bali. I recommend this job unless you need to support a family or others on it. It is just enough to squeak by... but the teaching experience itself is really rewarding!
Pros
new experiences, great coworkers
Cons
very stingy pay from Beijing office
I worked in EF for just over three years. I learned so much in my time working there and was given so much freedom for creativity within the classroom. The principal of the school was an inspiration and the whole environment was relaxed and open.
Pros
My principal
Cons
Changeable hours
I came to work excited and enjoyed very much the interaction with other teachers. The employees there were from a variety of different countries, cultures, and ethnicities.
Planning classes was easy because they had structured and outlined materials to use. We were never under too much pressure.

I learned a lot about work culture in a professional environment and what it entails to keep a balance and a smiling attitude in the workforce.

The management was kind and honourable and I liked them a lot.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the money I earned! But I loved to meet and interact with the other employees. Business English was enjoyable and I miss it a lot.

The hardest part of the job was keeping a mature attitude and being a professional around the students. I think I struggled with the children and felt better when teaching adults.
Pros
Business english and Indonesian food from the cart!
Cons
Present Simple grammar struggles
I taught children, young learners, teenagers, young adults and adults. They were normally excited in learning English with excellent teaching methods which company provides. As a teacher, I obviously learned so many things around my positive environment, such as, working as a team with other colleges, paying attention to detail and how to solve problem in the classroom. However, the difficult things that I needed to overcome were preparing lesson plan to be as creative as possible or parents will terribly be complaining and motivating young learners/teenagers to study while they tended to get bored easily and have unstable emotion. On the other hand, I really loved how mostly students could engaged with me in their process of learning English. Their excitement definitely had changed my tiredness into a delightful energy.
I loved the activity of teaching online every day. I met new students from around the world every day, and also developed some regular students for while I was there. I highly recommend this job for anyone who wants to experience life in Bali. You will fare better, however, if you have a bit of financial savings before you arrive. However, life there is cheap. If you know how to be frugal and have only yourself to support, it can be an ideal introduction to living and working in Asia, as it was for me.
Pros
location
EF has a great approach to supporting new teachers into their role - they supplement all their syllabi with teaching-tips and suggestions. I worked across2 cities, in over 4 EF schools, and they obviously had their similarities, but as franchises, they had their difficulties. The general attitude of the company was upbeat, people-centred and lively. The hardest part was split-shifts and working with very different students within the same day.
Pros
Very mixed experiences of teaching: good for career-building
Cons
Problems the management had in acquiring my legal status
EF is a great way to see the world whilst getting paid to do a challenging yet fulfilling job but it's not for everyone. They work well to look after their staff but as it is a franchise business, there can be big differences from one group to the next.
Pros
On the job training
Cons
non competitive salary