EF English First

EF English First Salary & Benefits reviews

Everything is well structured but the compensation for an Indonesian English teachers are not worth it. People are nice there, but the workloads are too much.
EF is a franchise, so it's understandable that there are some differences in the management, policy, and overall working culture in some branches. I believe some branches have good working environment. My office was not one of them, tho. These are my assessment of the office I worked in, not the whole EF. 1) Unfairness. Local teachers have siginificantly less benefits compared to international teachers, even though they have more responsibilities and working period. 2) Messy management. There is weak unity and collaboration. Teachers are merely expendable pawns. 3) Questionable policies/rules. Many of them don't make sense. It gets even worse during Covid-19, especially for low tier and part-time teachers. 4) Little appreciation. They blame you easily for your mistakes, but almost pays no attention to how well you are doing your job. 5) Close-minded higher-ups. It's hard to share your true feelings, desires, or opinions. When they have "a conversation" with you, their first instinct is to be defensive or to shut you down, not to listen. If you still want to take part in this company, at least pick a branch that has healthier working environment. The company itself is not bad as a whole, in fact with better people, it could be the top recommended place to work. It has good curriculum and bank of materials and teaching activities. If you could overlook some major flaws in the office you're working in, then go for it. At least you could improve your public speaking skill a bit if you're applying for a teacher. You know well what you really want.
Pros
Teaching materials, the students, opportunity to polish your English and teachings skills.
Cons
Low benefits, low transparency, bad management, stressful and biased environment, questionable policies, little appreciation, close-mindedness.
Please do deep research before you apply for any position. During the pandemic outbreak, you can actually see how poor they handle problems based on the work from home policy and salary adjustment they had to do. Our rights as employees, the rights to speak up and negotiate, were oblivious to them. If you do pass the test and interview process, please read your contract carefully before signing. There are a lot of points you need to truly understand. Discuss and negotiate about it. The company is great for those of you who wants to learn general, basic job responsibilities. I don't recommend staying longer here. Will take you long time for a raise. Benefits and facilities are OK, some are poorly managed and there were many times they're lacking things which inconvenient for us. Work culture is very typical. Some seniors act with hauteur and disdain toward their junior. Working hours so-so, be prepared to work overtime without payment except when 1st party agreed to do so. Hardest part of the job: keeping up with their poor management. The most enjoyable part of the job: networking and improving your English.
EF is a great way to see the world whilst getting paid to do a challenging yet fulfilling job but it's not for everyone. They work well to look after their staff but as it is a franchise business, there can be big differences from one group to the next.
Pros
On the job training
Cons
non competitive salary
Good to learn and develop a style of teaching. Nice to interact with people from different walks of life. Long hours and have to work Saturdays so can be quiet a long work week.
The textbooks were a "turn-key" system that made teaching English very easy. There was a lot of social contact with both staff and students. It was a fun time.
Pros
Loads of fun
Cons
EF salaries are the lowest. But the cost of living in Indonesi is half Aust
Nice place to work but job work/life balance was lacking. Compensation was good for the area and co-workers were welcoming. Hardest part of the job was not having a set schedule every week.
The school provides modules and all materials. Not stressful to work here. Relaxed and fun place to work. The colleagues, supervisors and owners are very friendly.
Pros
Free snacks, shuttle
Cons
This job was good for me because I was a first time ESL teacher traveling abroad. EF abroad is a good job for beginning teachers that are planning on moving around to different countries a lot. I learned hands-on about how to teach children (not just from a course or book). My coworkers were OK. The hardest part of the job for me was teaching the 2 & 3 year olds for one hour alone! The most enjoyable experience for me was working in a foreign country.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Healthcare Benefits
Great bosses and co workers. It was fun to work with students of all ages and levels.
Pros
free housing
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at EF English First?
Had a decent time at this job, Changed employers at the end of my contract to live in my wife's city.
We worked after hours only for four hours a day. This English school was based in Indonesia so I had to hone my skills in speaking Bahasa Indinesai,so that I can teach them English. The nice part was that the material was very vast and organised which made teaching fun and easy.
Pros
The hours where not that long thought the pay was good.
Cons
None thast I can thing of.