Marriott International, Inc.

Marriott International, Inc. Employee Reviews for Senior Line Cook

I'm raising my children by working for Marriott hotel as a cook II I enjoy going to work and seeing the guests making sure they come back again. Before covid-19 I would have been at work right now with my coworkers doing what we love best.
Pros
Hard work pays off.
Cons
If you are lazy its not for you.
My job duration here was of 12 months. In this I learnt varied kind of techniques and international cuisines and prepared them as well under guidance of experienced chefs. Totally loved the work!
Pros
Free coffee, And lunches
Cons
Nothing !
Opening and building a kitchen from scratch is one of the greatest experiences to be a part of. I had the pleasure of being able to do it with one of Delaware's top executive chef's. Hard work and dedication has proven to be one of the best assets in the River Rock Kitchen for myself and with my vast knowledge and experience, I soon was able to lead all banquets as head banquet chef while running the kitchen for breakfast and lunch. Night shift is typically heavier staffed with kitchen help and staff, but during busier times in the day there was a lack of assistance and I was often the only one to handle all day services including banquets. The toughest part is running dayshift as the only chef, and being responsible for unloading and organizing all product orders that came in simultaneously. Under different Executive Chef's cultures have shifted with staff members. For the most part people come in and do their job, but there are always stresses while working in a kitchen, especially busy ones. Keeping your head down and getting the job done while providing high quality standards for customers is always my number one priority. The most rewarding part of the job is receiving accolades for a fantastic meal and seeing plates come back clean after a customer finishes their meal.
Pros
Paid Time Off, Hours, Creative Freedom, Employee Perks
Cons
Under Trained Staff, Poor Management, Understaffed
The culture at Marriott is amazing. Everyone sticks together and helps one another out to make the guests' stay enjoyable and as relaxing as possible. Coworkers are amazing, which make the job great and the time fly by. Management will always do their best to help you out. I learned what it was like to stay focused, especially when we get busy during dinner rushes. On the downside, there is not enough work balance and personal life balance when working at Marriott, especially for kitchen staff. We work ridiculous amounts of hours, some of us underpaid compared to what we're supposed to be getting paid. It's very difficult to balance out, especially if you're a student.
Pros
Good amount of hours, able to advance, management was helpful.
Cons
Balancing work life and personal life was very difficult, especially as a student.