Morgan Stanley

Morgan Stanley Employee Reviews

Showing all 4,723 reviews

Good Work Environment, but say goodbye to your social life

My team at Morgan Stanley was fantastic, probably one of the tightest knit teams that I have ever been a part of. As someone still young and growing in the industry there is a great amount to learn here. As for your social life, plan to never have any weekends free and if you are in the technical field there is just a small team so you will be on call 24/7 some weeks. December is the worst month for all at Morgan because of End of Year financial reviews, at the end of 2019 there was nearly 1500 jobs cut mostly in the technology sector, so never be confident about your position here, it can be cut at any time.

You get to work with smart people

Not to hard to move internally. Work life balance is ok. Pay for back/middle office is not competitive especially if you have been there for a long time.

Get every ounce out of you without paying for the level of work

Extremely challenging workTremendous effort to succeed not rewardedToo many silosManagement is only concerned about themselves and their bonuses. They're very territorial and go after each other instead of finding a common solution.

Takes the health, diversity and inclusion of their employees seriously. A company that actually "walks the talk" when it comes to embodying their values. Hard to get ahead at such a large organization, though.

Industry Leader

Industry leader with a lot of smart, hard working people. A lot of interesting strategic acquisitions that can be accretive to the direction of the business. Busy days. Talented co-workers. Return to work will be interesting.

Tough enviroment

When I worked here, was extremely full on as a PA and you definitely got landed with work last minute and late in the day with total disregard of the fact you're an assistant and should be able to leave at a reasonable time (this was pre-Covid). Lots of people leave because the culture is quite hierarchal and exclusionary.

Great work culture!

Amazing work culture, great on inclusion and diversity! Great management. Had opportunity to learn at every new role that was granted to me. Very supportive management. A lot of new learning opportunities!

Great benefits and resources

Overall good place, but depending on which department it can be bad. Advancing within your department is slim to none. Changing positions and departments is a lateral move for pay. Most people have to leave and get rehired to make significant advancements.

Pros

Remote 2 days, Pto, Benefits

Cons

For departments that have work 100% paperless, should be able to be remote 100%

Overall this is a great company to work for. Management is supportive, friendly, and always looking out for everyone on their team. Some days the calls can be difficult or downright unreasonable, so this job isn't for people who can't handle conflict calmly and problem-solve under pressure. The pay and benefits are very good for what the job is. And everyone is always looking for ways to boost each other up and advance but are also capable of holding each other accountable when we need to.

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, excellent management, good work culture

Cons

Can be emotionally and mentally taxing, not much schedule flexibility

Etrade Financial Service rep

The growth they claim is not true. its a call center and takes a long time for you to move to another position.Even if you're excelling. Managers dont care about your goals

The People

They’re great people and you get to meet new ones all the time. Always new people coming on board and old ones stick around too. Easy to work with them

Na

Awesome company for work, there are way much politics in most of the teams, not enough hike as per the market standards, false promises, higher management is the whole and sole for your appraisal.

Nine Levels of Hades

MS was a great place to work where you can learn what not to do at your next job in all areas, except for understanding a hyper working environment. A great deal of overtime, lack of transparency, numbers are forced to be fudged, toxic environment. Its all a rush job. The models were a black box. Its a transition in your career, but never stay for long, or you might just pass away from a heart attack.

The culture is amazing and the opportunity for growth is incomparable

Morgan Stanley is such a phenomenal place to work. It lives and breathes it’s core values. I think they should add another to their core values and that is “Our employees are as valuable to us as our clients”

Tons of potential but its a very dysfunctional work culture

Extremely bureaucratic - to be expected for financials industry. But add the layer of politics and cover-yourself-mentality and it becomes almost impossible to get anything done. Group-think (more like paralysis) is very dominant. Yet the pressure to make things happen is real. The result is frustration and disempowerment.

Pros

Very good benefits, good salary, nice people

Cons

Totally dysfunctional work culture, relentless meetings, disorganized on-boarding

FAA program

Good role where the management cared about your success while you also learned how to sell and cut your teeth as a financial advisor. Gave us the chance to obtain securities licenses.

Pros

Good people, great research

Cons

Too many hours

Misleading from the job description

This role is a call center role where you will speak to 40-50 clients a day from all over the world. Can still not believe how big of a company Morgan Stanley is and they can not afford to hire translators for all of the different languages clients need. This job is very draining, with little to no downtime. The clients are very demanding and condescending, the toll this job was taking on my mental health was not worth the pay. Management was nonexistent to ever help with escalations, and the month of training was a complete waste. Only positive about this job is that they will pay for you to get your series 7 and series 66.

Recently added Diversity and Inclusion to Core Values

Morgan Stanley recognizes historical issues with hiring and promoting diverse candidates and has several initiatives now in place to rectify. Very slow progress, but progress.

Temporary Positions in Operations

Good if you're permanent member, If you are a temporary worker like me then lower expectations, expect favoritism and less opportunities and less guidance. The pay is okay for being temp through resource solutions . Some people have been made permanent at the end of their temp contracts, For me I have been given an "I don't know " for every time I ask about becoming permanent, it is a very technical jobs nd you learn on the job. Every day there will be something new to learn. and if you are lucky someone will take time to teach you. If you apply aim for permanent positions as temporary staff get treated with negligence

Pros

Good exposure, looks good on cv, Good atmophere and work culture

Cons

Long unpaid over time

Boring

It’s a boring place to work, where people go in twice a week and no one talks to each other. People are not standoff-ish, just will not talk to you. No assigned desks and a super small kitchen area.

Women tearing women down?

My first job out of college and have never experienced such a toxic culture. I worked in campus recruiting and I’ve never experienced such a terrible culture trickle down from the MD downwards.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Morgan Stanley. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits