Plante Moran

Plante Moran Employee Reviews

Nothing special

Plante Moran is your standard public accounting firm. Long hours, low appreciation, and few advancement opportunities reserved to protégés. Management tries its hardest to cover up a wide spread lack of trust and poor planning. It’s all about the bottom line and it shows.

Great productive place!

I had a really great time during my time with Plante Moran. The office was so welcoming, but they also were very inviting to let you work from home. Everyone was excited to work together and help one another.

Caring and Dedicated

The company is well organized and management is very helpful. They are willing to help you learn. They take care of their employees as well. The hard part is the busy season, but then it ends up slowing down.

Amazing learning experience

Amazing learning experience and the people are (mostly) great! It really depends on what team you are on. The clients are Great and you will learn a. LOT. It’s a great place to start your career as a young professional

Culture or cult?

I’m surprised at how bad the culture is here given how much they rave about it to job prospects. The culture is really more like a cult and if you don’t fit it you won’t succeed. They play favorites and if you aren’t a favorite you won’t get as much work no matter how much you ask then they will complain that you aren’t meeting your role expectations or meeting your ridiculous charge hour goal. There is no flexibility. Are you a newer staff? Well kids working from home goodbye unless you have an excuse. Busy season is busy but the off season you still are expected to work 30+ CHARGE HOURS a week so don’t believe the “less than 40” they tell you in the interview. The health benefits suck and are expensive and the pay is ok. If you don’t like your team partner then prepare to be miserable because everything at this company comes down to your team partner. If you want to actually have a life outside of work that doesn’t involved your coworkers you should probably look elsewhere.

Over worked and under appreciated

The culture here is so poor, trust is very low, lack of growth opportunities, extremely long hours, even outside of the busy season. Not female-friendly. The HR team is untrustworthy and two-faced.

Pros

fair pay

Cons

see above

I worked as an accountant straight out of college

It was a good place to work. The people were friendly and helpful. I left because I just didn't care for accounting as a job. If you like accounting, I would recommend.

Managers don't care about your learning.

I have to say that Plante benefits are decent but the work culture and environment are very poor. work would be thrown at you and expect this "lool at last year's". It is insane that they have to keep recruiting staff in all levels every year. Staff would leave in the middle of the season while they would not at the other firm.

Pros

Free lunches during busy season. Technology seems advanced.

Cons

Hostile culture. Little learning.

Great place to work.

PM is a great place to work. Partners are invested in the development of employees at all levels. The buddy system is great (usually someone that is in a role above you).

PTO was good

Administrative assistants are not treated equally. The culture is one of a cast system, if you aren’t an intern or CPA, then you are not much more than a servant and treated as such. Great place to work for CPA’s. Not the same for Admin’s.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Plante Moran?

Volatile Swings in work hours

There are two busy seasons a year where 90% of the work is completed. The first runs January - April and the second August - October. Expect to work 55-70 hours a week (Plus Saturdays in Busy Season 1). Summer and Fall/Winter hours are slow and perfect for FTO.

Pros

Unlimited Flexible Time Off, WFH is still available

Cons

6 months of the year are stressful, Inadequate training, not Bonus eligible until a third year senior

Work life balance highly valued

Good benefits, they cover 100% of high deductible health insurance plan50% 401k match on up to 6% of EE contributions6 weeks pto for maternity/paternity leaveLots of training, just implemented training for new seniors, staff are competent

Pros

Unlimited fto (flex time off) as long as you meet your hours Kind people

Cons

Pay could be more competitive

Productive and Fun Workplace

Plenty of room to grow, they have great training. The managers and teams make the longer tax season hours manageable. Once you find a specialty and team its very easy to learn and grow.

Very Toxic Culture

I worked in a department other than Audit/Tax, and I'll just say I found the culture and my team to be very toxic. Working here was the worst employment experience of my life and the worst job-related decision I ever made. If you drink the kool-aid and just go along with whatever you are told, you will be fine. Don't ask too many questions, and don't suggest new ideas. If you want to last here, you have to act like the firm is the greatest place in the world and just follow orders like a robot. Don't ever say anything negative about a Partner, even if that Partner breaks a policy or is a bully. The people who love working here have fallen into a cult-like mentality and they are not allowed to think for themselves.

Pros

A paycheck

Cons

Low pay, toxic culture, bullies in leadership positions, cliques, cult-like environment

Ok Pay. Great Culture.

Pay is okay, but not like the big four. Company had great people and a great culture! Just the nature of public accounting can be rough. Once you're a Senior, expect to work 60-70 hours a week, so goodbye to work/life balance.

Pros

Great Culture, Great Benefits, Helpful Partners and Managers

Cons

Pay is below average, No work life balance

Not a “jerk free” environment

Awful management and HR. Completely low class environment. Overworked, including doing the work of other low performing coworkers. Ok if you get to work for the right partners and not the arrogant ones and their teams.

Official response from Plante Moran

2 August 2021
We value your feedback. In order to help our managers and supervisors grow, we encourage staff members to utilize the firm’s Upward Feedback Survey to provide constructive feedback. We believe upward feedback can help bridge the gap between needs and expectations among team members.

Top culture and work/life balance

I’ve loved working here for years & look forward to a long career at Plante Moran. The firm’s response to the pandemic has shown me more than I thought I’d ever know about the way this company takes care of employees.

Pros

Culture, work from home flexibility, the people

Cons

Slightly lower pay rate than competitors

Cares about employees

PM is all about culture. You can’t avoid the stress from busy season. As a first time intern who was trying to impress peers in return of a job offer, I’ve had three personal breakdowns throughout my internship due to stress and overworking. Expectation during busy season was 50-60hrs/week. At least interns got overtime benefits whereas staff does not. Overall I’m glad I got to experience what busy season is like and I didn’t think it was all too bad. The people I worked with were amazing and helpful and if they weren’t so supportive of me it would’ve made this place really hard to work for.

Pros

Work from home, supportive

Cons

Very busy season, training is overwhelming

Need for improvement

The practice that I worked in did not have enough tools in place to create transparency for who was working on what, making it easy for team members to be over-worked. Also, the contents of many of the templates for client deliverables are outdated but time is rarely set aside to improve them.

Great internship

I enjoyed my time at Plante moran in Boulder, great people and great culture that stems from the top. Would easily work there again, all in all great experience.

Pros

Cons

Busy busy season

Great people, great culture

Management makes a concerted effort to help you grow and develop. Good flexibility and benefits. Additional perks during busy season. Even with great benefits and culture, burnout and turnover is still prevalent.

Pros

People, culture, benefits

Cons

Understaffed and overworked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plante Moran. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits