Wipfli LLP

Wipfli LLP Employee Reviews

Difficult if you are not a Seasoned Pro

I was part of the WIPFLI team in Spokane for a little over 2 years and began as an intern while in grad school and after graduating was moved to a staff Accountant position. From my experience with the Spokane office there was little one on one training for new people, a lack of communication when it came to my performance and their expectations, resulting in surprise when the information was shared. If you are already a manager you will do great but if you are just starting out be prepared for a ton of self training outside of work hours and long hours in the office. The people I worked with made the job great but there are some changes leadership needs to make in their communication and evaluation.

Pros

Culture, busy season lunches, locations, resources

Cons

Work life balance, long hours, lots of homework

bad workplace environment with unsupportive upper management

Most of partners and managers are disrespectful and can’t find any support when you need it, they hard to get any task assignment to build your knowledge

Flexible

A lot of work to do. Huge variety of clients. Unlimited PTO. Can get very busy, but pretty flexible. It pretty comparable to other top 20 cpa firms all the resources you want

Great culture with management firmly dedicated to developing and retaining their talent.

I'm on the; client accounting services team, which is called FAST at Wipfli. I serve as a virtual controller or CFO for our clients. I personally enjoy the variety of clients & projects, because it keeps me learning and I love that. I highly recommend Wipfli because the firm's values line up with mine, We basically design our own "highest and best use" based on our skillsets and priorities (Big Rocks). There is also very little drama which is a huge plus.

Culture is very strong as an intern and staff

There is a tapering off of communication between departments as you progress people fall into a niche. Great opportunity to learn about a variety of industries but the transition from staff to senior can be challenging

Good culture, but can be very busy since it's consulting

It's consulting, so it's going to be very busy at times, but with that comes much more flexibility than non-consulting positions. The culture is good.

Pros

Flexible Good culture

Cons

Very busy at times

Best company I have ever worked for.

A disclaimer, I am an internal employee and not an accountant. Accountant experience could be completely different. I have never worked for a company that actually cares about their employees as much as Wipfli. They offered me a much larger salary than what I asked for, which was my first "green flag." They also have amazing benefits, FTO, and extreme flexibility. They even added a few more paid holidays per year, since they wanted to encourage people to take time off work. My entire team was so welcoming, they each had meetings with me and asked in what ways they could support me and vice-versa. I cannot tell you the difference in moral this had compared to past jobs. The FTO is amazing, if you don't know what that is it is basically "Unlimited time off." You shouldn't abuse it, but it helps with stress when planning vacations. you no longer have to think "Oh but I only have 3 vacations days left for the year if I do this!!!" My only qualm is that onboarding could have been better. I wish there was more training for internal employees, I felt badly about twiddling my thumbs for the first bit. However, I shared this issue in a meeting and they are working towards improving it. I feel heard by the executives, and thankful for this job.

Pros

Amazing benefits, Remote (Live wherever you want in the US!!!), Great management, Parties, Volunteer opportunities, great culture, internal promotions

Cons

Onboarding/training, inconsistent processes

Treat you with respect.

Worked as a tax season temp. They treated me like a human being and made sure I got the time I needed to take care of my spouse when we dealt with the loss of a family member.

Pros

Wonderful people.

Cons

Not much interest in letting temps apply for permenant poistions.

Management in Tax needs severe work

Leaders continue to turn a blind eye when problems arrive within the department in Tax. There is no positive feedback given but negative feedback is the topic of their yearly leadership review process. That process dictates your merit increase but is very one sided.

Pros

Great Flexible time off during certain months

Cons

Lunch is expected to be working and at your desk

Good Experience

Learned a lot working here. Management was solid. Long hours during tax season, but that’s to be expected. Co-workers were great and everyone treats each other respectfully.

Fast-Paced Work Environment

I started my career with Wipfli right out of college. It was a great place to learn as much as I could and get a well-rounded experience. When I started, we got to dabble in different groups before deciding where we wanted to go permanently. The culture seemed to deteriorate a little as the company grew by acquiring smaller firms throughout the country. It really started to feel less like a family and more like a true corporation. The most frustrating thing was never knowing what it took to become a partner or if being a partner was worth it.

Pros

Nice co-workers, opportunities to learn

Cons

Long hours, deteriorating culture

Constant Stress

Unrealistic timelines for the work to be accomplished. Company professes an “Outward Mind Set” in dealing with employees and clients but reality is there are numerous upper management personnel that do not follow this “philosophy” and are actually borderline discriminatory in many cases. Would not recommend this environment to anyone to work in.

Pros

Compensation

Cons

Unrealistic expectations by mid-level management

Growing company

This firm is still growing and needs to focus on the associates they have instead of trying to purchase numerous small accounting firms. Management only cares about their own growth and compensation. Work/ life balance is near impossible. Hours expected during tax season are outrageous and in no way make any benefits balance out.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Little work/ balance. No management support.

Okay place to work

While they were flexible with my work schedule, I felt that the quality of work I was putting in wasn't reflected in the compensation I received. Management often seemed closed off from the rest of staff and they struggled to boost employee morale.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

Employee morale

Wipfli believes in assisting its entire company to become what they want to become. Not what Wipfli wants them to become. They groom each individual in how to become a leader and give many ways for you to achieve anything you want to achieve, professionally AND personally.

M&A as growth causes it to feel like each office is its own company

Overall, the stress/hours/office culture made the job costs outweigh the benefits. If your manager is more interested in their own career advancement, could hurt your ability to succeed.

Pros

Free food

Cons

Benefits, Management

good place

Nice place to start as an intern. I only had to work 24 hours a week because I was going to school. They let me choose my hours and I got to do field work once a week which was better than expected. Also a lot of mentoring.

Pros

good people

Cons

Easy work for a company with rigid culture and poor job security

Position felt unnecessary, especially with the on-going epidemic. The process taken to deal with the epidemic felt highly skewed, and job security upon return of furlough is unknown.

Pros

Good work/life balance, great benefits and pay for work needed

Cons

Job culture is rigid with multiple/ conflicting management tiers, job security/ advancement is poor

If you care about people, don't go to work here...

Wipfli mockingly teaches the Arbinger model to think with an outward mindset, to think about others and treat the organization as whole. Yet they behave the opposite. Wipfli treats their employees and clients terribly, everyone is just a number USED to attain their bottom line of growth and greed. Their current agenda includes terminating long-term workers and outsourcing their work to cheaper labor in India.

Not bad place to put your foot in the door but not a long term company

Wipfli is so focused on being in the Big 10 for accounting firms, it has lost it's people focus and client needs. They "merge" (really its a take over) smaller firms to enlarge their imprint which is fine, but very unorganized leading to frustration and loss of good employees and clients. No real culture and mixed messages about billable time and client work. Huge push for work to move to India. Lack of training for local associates.

A typical day was boring performing audits for local institutions. There was little initial training I had a very weak performance coach, who was not involved in my development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wipfli LLP. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits